May 3, 2012

Farm Animal Crafts


A's preschool class has been doing a unit on farm animals, and she has brought home some darling crafts. This little piggy was made with two different sized paper plates and few construction paper cut-outs. I think the pipe cleaner tale is genius.



Then today she came home with this paper stick horse. The "stick" is rolled up newsprint, the mane is strands of yarn, and the head is two paper cut-outs stapled together with more newsprint inside. She's been "neighing" all over the house!


Now I know it's not technically a farm animal, but I thought this paper plate turtle deserved a shout-out.


So what books would you choose to read for a barnyard unit? These are a few of my favorites:

The Cow in Apple Time by Robert Frost

This is one of my favorite children's books of all time. I think I've blogged about it at least twice before, but it's worth mentioning it again. Robert Frost and adorable illustrations? How could you go wrong?








The Little Pig by Judy Dunn

I adore this whole series. They're out of print, but you can find them used for cheap. The photography is lovely and all the books make you want to sell your house, pack up your stuff, and move to the countryside.








Barnyard Dance! by Sandra Boyton 


Oh, admit it. You love this one.

6 comments:

  1. My daughter actually received The Little Pig as part of "A Big Treasury of Little Animals" for Christmas last year, so those fantastic books are still available new.

    Adorable crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! Displaced little farm turtle is precious, too. Bp liked that one best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your animals are so cute! I am so glad the farm has a turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your animals are so cute! I am so glad the farm has a turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you included the turtle, I'd recommend Cock-A-Doodle Moooo! A Mixed-Up Menagerie. It's not technically a barnyard book, but it does have a few barnyard animals in it, namely cooster (cow+rooster), hoghopper (hog+grasshopper) and a snorse (snail+horse)!

    My daughter made a horse like in school that except that they used donated yardsticks and brown paper bags to construct.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I love love love those crafts! I am going to have to check out the books!

    ReplyDelete

More Fun...

Related Posts with Thumbnails